Dragon Flight Enrichment Classes » Enrichment FAQ

Enrichment FAQ

Does my child need to attend Flagstaff in order to participate in Dragon Flight Care or Enrichment?

Absolutely not. We welcome any and all students into our before- and after-school care and enrichment programs.

How do I register my child for a Dragon Flight enrichment class?

For your convenience, we offer online registration for all Dragon Flight programs. Be prepared to enter four emergency contacts (name, phone number, address), as well as the name and contact information for your child's doctor, dentist, and hospital preference.

If I register my child for a Dragon Flight enrichment class and (s)he do not attend, will I still be charged?

If your child is registered for an enrichment class and does not attend, you will be charged for the class. We staff Dragon Flight based on the number of children registered. We must pay our staff for their scheduled time, whether or not your child attends.

Are enrichment classes covered by the Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)?

While Dragon Flight does accept families receiving state assistance through CCAP, CCAP does not cover enrichment classes.

What background checks are conducted on your care providers?

Both Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and FBI background checks are conducted.

I have an idea for an enrichment class. Who do I contact to discuss my idea?

We are always looking for new enrichment classes to add to our program offerings. Please e-mail or call the Dragon Flight director with your idea.

What is your drop-off and pick-up procedure?

Why can't I share my door code with my child?

There have been instances where children who know their parents' door code are using it themselves or sharing it with friends. This poses a safety risk for the staff and students of the school. If we find that a door code is being used during school hours, that code will be immediately deactivated and the parent will need to sign a new Door Code Waiver to receive a new code. If a code is compromised and not immediately reported, the family will not receive a new code for the remainder of the school year.

What if I need someone else to pick my child up?

Please send the director an e-mail with the name of the authorized person, even if the person is on the authorized pick up list. Please tell the authorized pick-up person to bring their ID in with them. You may give them your code to access the building, but please remind them that they are not to share it with your child.